President of Mochtar Riady Institute for Nanotechnology
Prof.dr.Irawan Yusuf,Ph.D, completed his medical doctor undergraduate at the Hasanuddin University Faculty of Medicine Makasar in 1984. In 1992 he received his PhD in the field of molecular and cellular cardiac electrophysiology at the School of Medicine, University of Hiroshima, Japan.
He has been a lecturer at the Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Hasanuddin University of Makasar since 1986. He was appointed as a Vice Dean in 2002 and continued his career as a Dean from 2006 to 2014 at the same Faculty. His university promoted him as Professor of Physiology in 2005. Between 1995 and 2002 he joined as a Senior Researcher at Eijkman Institute in Jakarta. He had been invited as an external examiner on the Ph.D exams at Leiden University (2007), Utrecht University (2009), and Amsterdam University (2013) in the Netherlands. In 2015 Prof Irawan Yusuf became a visiting professor at Kyoto University, Japan.
His career as a researcher began 1987 and his main areas of research interest are pharmacogenomics, genetic aspects of infectious and non-communicable diseases and the interaction between genetic and environmental factors against infectious and non-communicable diseases. This research activity has resulted in more than forty scientific publications in international journals.
Prof. Irawan Yusuf was involved in various higher education and health research activities, including being a member of the proposal assessor for the Ford Foundation from 2004-2008 and of the research proposal review team for the Danone Institute since 2008.
He was honored with the best of Head of Study Program from Ministry of Research and Technology, Republic of Indonesia in 2009 and received in 2010 the 20 Years Satya Lencana Karya from the Government of Republic Indonesia. He received the Juned Pusponegro award from Indonesian Medical Association (IDI) in 2012 and Ahmad Bakrie Award for Medicine in 2013. He was the Chair of the NECHRI Steering Committee (Novartis Eijkman Hasanuddin Clinical Research Initiative), an institution formed by Novartis, the Eijkman Institute and Hasanuddin University which focuses its activities on research on tuberculosis and dengue fever. He was appointed as Chair of Ethic Committee at Mochtar Riady Institute for Nanotechnology, Member of National Research Board, National Bioethics Commission and Deputy Chair of the National Commission on Health Research Ethics. From 2007 to 2009 he was a Chairman of Indonesian Medical Association, and from 2009 – 2012 he was a Chairman of Indonesian Medical Colloqium. He is a member of the Indonesian Academy of Sciences since 2008.
- Irawan Yusuf, Upik A. Miskad, Ronald E. Lusikooy, Arham Arsyad, Akram Irwan, George Mathew, Ivet Suriapranata, Rinaldy Kusuma, Bens Pardamean, Muhamad Fitra, Kacamarga, Arif Budiarto, Tjeng Wawan Cenggoro, Carissa I. Pardamean, Christopher McMahan, Chase Joyner and James W. Baurley. Genetic Risk Factors for Colorectal Cancer in 2 Multiethnic Indonesians. bioRxiv 2019: May 3.
- Saidah Syamsuddin, Irawan Yusuf, Jayalangkara Tanra , Irfan Idris. The Polymorphisms of DRD2 141-C Ins/Del Receptor Influenced the Treatment Responses of Schizophrenia Patients. Neuropsychiatry (London) 2019; 9: 2467–2470.
- Teguh Wijayadi, Rizalinda Sjahril, Turyadi, Susan I, Ridha Wahyuni, Ilhamjaya Patellongi, M. Nasrum Massi, Irawan Yusuf, and David H. Muljono. Seroepidemiology of HBV infection among health-care workers in South Sulawesi, Indonesia. BMC Infectious Diseases 2018:279.
- Tigor Peniel Simanjuntak, Mochammad Hatta, Syahrul Rauf, Irawan Yusuf and Mardiah Tahir. Forkhead Box P3 Messenger-RNA Expression After Curcuma Longa Extract Intervention in Early Pregnant Mice with Toxoplasmosis. Res J Immunol, 11 (1):1-6, 2018.
- Andriany Qanitha, Bastianus AJM de Mol, David P Burgner, Peter Kabo, Dara R Pabittei, Irawan Yusuf, Cuno SPM Uiterwaal. Pregnancy-related conditions and premature coronary heart disease in adult offspring. Heart Asia 2017;9:90-95.
- Hendrawan S,Yusuf I, Hatta M, et al. Allogenic islet cells implant on poly-L-lactide matrix to reduce hyperglicaemia in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat. Pancreatology 2017;1-8.
- Putra BW, Sartika CR, Wijaya A, Yusuf I, Choon AT. Levels of Stromal Derived Factor-1 (SDF-1) and Brain Derived Neurotropic Factor (BDNF) and Very Small Embryonic-Like Cells (VSEL) in Ischemic Stroke Patients. Int J Transl Sci, 2016; 2016 (1):61-70.
- Prakoeswa CRS, Wahyuni R, Iswahyudi, Adriaty D,Yusuf I, Sutjipto, Agusni I, Izumi, S. Expression profile of Rab5, Rab7, tryptophan aspartate-containing coat protein, leprae lipoarabinomannan, and phenolic glycolipid-1 on the failure of the phagolysosome process in macrophages of leprosy patients as a viability marker of Mycobacterium leprae. Int J Mycrobacteriol, 2016;5(2):155-163.
- Sasmono R Tedjo, Wahid Isra, Trimarsanto Hidayat, Yohan Benediktus, Wahyuni Sitti,Hertanto Martin, Yusuf Irawan, Mubin Halim, Ganda Idham J, Latief Rachmat, Bifani Pablo J, Shi Pei-Yong, Schreiber Mark J. Genomic analysis and growth characteristic of dengue viruses from Makassar, Indonesia. J Mol Epid Evolutionary Genet Infect Dis, 2015; 32 doi:10.1016/j.meegid.2015.03.006.
- Sennang N, Rogerson S, Wahyuni ST,Yusuf I, Syafruddin D. Antibody response against three Plasmodium falciparum merozoite antigens in Mamuju District West Sulawesi Province Indonesia. J Malariology, 2014.
- Santoso A, Kaniawati M, Bakri S, Yusuf I. Secretory phospholipase A2 is associated with the odds of acute coronary syndrome through elevation of serum amyloid-A protein. Int J Angiol 2013; 22:49-54.
- Sasmono RT, Massi MN, Setianingsih TY, Wahyuni S; Anita, Halik H,Yusuf I, Dick T, Sola C, Bifani PJ, Phyu S Heterogeneity of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains in Makassar, Indonesia.. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012 Nov;16(11):1441-8.
- Utama A, Siburian MD, Fanany I, Intan MD, Dhenni R, Kurniasih TS, Lelosutan SA, Achwan WA, Zubir N, Arnelis, Lukito B, Yusuf I Lesmana LA, Sulaiman A. Hepatitis B virus pre-S2 start codon mutations in Indonesian liver disease patients. World J Gastroenterol. 2012 Oct 14;18(38):5418-26.
- Andi Utama, Marlinang Diarta Siburian, Ismail Fanany, Mariana Destila Bayu Intan, Rama Dhenni, Tri Shinta Kurniasih, Syafruddin AR Lelosutan, Wenny Astuti Achwan, Nasrul Zubir, Arnelis, Benyamin Lukito, Irawan Yusuf, Laurentius Adrianus Lesmana, Ali Sulaiman. Hepatitis B Virus pre-S2 start codon mutations in Indonesian liver disease patients. World J Gastroenterol. 14;18(38):5418-5426.
- Pangaribuan B,Yusuf I, Mansyur M, Wijaya A. Serum adiponectin and resistin in relation to insulin resistance and markers of hyperandrogenism in lean and obese women with PCOS. Ther Adv Endocrinol Metab 2011: 1-11.
- Utama A, Siburian MD, Fanany I, Intan MD, Dhenni R, Kurniasih TS, Lelosutan SA, Achwan WA, Arnelis, Lukito B, Yusuf I, Lesmana LA, Sulaiman A, Tai S. Low prevalence of hepatitis B virus pre-S deletion mutation in Indonesia. J Med Virol. 2011 10:1717-26.
- Massi, MM, Wahyuni S, Khalik H, Anita, Yusuf I, Leong JF, Dick T, Phyu S 2011. Drug resistance among tuberculosis patient attainment centers in Makassar, Indonesia. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis, 15: 489-495(7).
- Kaniawati. M,Yusuf I, Bakri. S, Santoso. A. Proatherogenic/antiatherogenic high density lipoprotein type in acute coronary syndrome and healthy male person. Med J Ind 2010;4:228-34.
- Suprianata IM, Sudania WM, Tjong WY, Suciptan AA, Gani RA, Hasan I, Sanityoso A, Budihusodo U, Miskad UA, Akil F, Lelosutan SAR, Martamala R, Yusuf I, Lesmana AL, Sulaiman A, Tai S 2010. Alpha-Fetoprotein gene polymorphisms and risk of HCC and cirrhosis. Clinica Chimica Acta 411:351-358.
- Utama A, Octavia TI, Dhenni R, Miskad UA,Yusuf I, Tai S 2009. Hepatitis B virus genotypes/subgenotypes in voluntary blood donors in Makassar, South Sulawesi, Indonesia. Virol J. 19;6:128.
- Utama A, Purwantomo S, Siburian MD, Dhenni R, Gani RA, Hasan I, Sanityoso A, Miskad UA, Akil F, Yusuf I, Achwan WA, Soemohardjo S, Lelosutan SA, Martamala R, Lukito B, Budihusodo U, Lesmana LA, Sulaiman A, Tai S 2009. Hepatitis B virus subgenotypes and basal core promoter mutations in Indonesia. World J Gastroenterol. 28;15(32):4028-36.
- Wahjoepramono EJ, Aniwiyanti V, Anggawidjaja ST, Yunianto, Yusuf I 2009. Correlation amyloid in brain, kidney, and CSF of castrated guinea pigs. Neuroendocrinol Lett 30:101-105.
- Utama A, Budiarto BG, Monasari D, Octavia TI, Chandra IS, Gani RA, Hasan I, Sanityoso A, Miskad UA,Yusuf I, Lesmana LA, Sulaiman A, Tai S 2008. Hepatitis C virus genotype in blood donors and associated liver diseases in Indonesia. Intervirology 51:410-416.
- Budu, Hayasaka. S, Syawal. R, Muhiddin HS, Idris. I, Yusuf I 2005. Peripherin/RDS gene in Indonesia population patients with retinitis pigmentosa: Geographic comparison of polymorphic variations.. Hiroshima J Med Sci;54:73-76.
- Yusuf I,Djojosubroto MW, Ikawati R, Lum JK, Kenko A and Marzuki S 2003. Ethnic and geographical distributions of CYP2C19 alleles in the populations of Southeast Asia. Adv Exp Med Biol. 37-46.
- Munemori M, Yamaoka K, Yusuf I, Sumii K, Otsuka H, Yamasaki K, 1996. Effect of N-feruloyl tyramine (an Analogue of tyramine) on inwardly rectifying potassium channel in frog ventricular myocytes. Hiroshima J Med Sci 45; 31.
- Yusuf I Yamaoka K, Otsuka H, Yamasaki K, and Seyama I, 1992. Block of sodium channels by tyramine and its analogue (N-feruloyl tyramine) in frog ventricular myocytes. Jpn J. Physiol 42; 179.